If you’d mentioned chia seeds to me a year ago, I would have laughed at the idea of such a health food. I can vividly remember tasting a drink with them and not being able to get over the texture. However, I now know better and just how wonderful these little guys are, so I’m often trying to find more ways to incorporate them into my diet. They are high in carbohydrates, but also packed with fibre – making them great for a low carb diet.
My keto breakfasts generally consist of eggs, so when I feel like a change I make this simple chia pudding instead. Simply throw the ingredients together the night before, put them in the fridge and you’ll have breakfast waiting for you in the morning.
The basic ingredients are as simple as it gets, chia seeds and coconut milk. I love to eat it just like that, with its creamy texture and coconut flavor. There are endless options for adding flavor and toppings; including spices, nuts and fruits. Some people also like to add a sweetener such as stevia, but I find the coconut flavor from the milk is enough for me.
I find this a great summer breakfast, served cold it’s lovely and refreshing – especially when served with a few cheeky berries. In winter I like to include cinnamon and heat it up in a pan on the stove – where it loses its pudding like consistency, but makes the perfect warm and comforting start to the day.
- 2 tbs chia seeds
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp matcha
- 1 tsp instant coffee
- 1 tbsp nut butter
- shredded coconut
- cacao nibs
- dark chocolate
- Prepare the night before by adding the chia seeds to the coconut milk and stirring well. Mix in any additional flavorings and put in the fridge for 6-8 hours.
- In the morning the chia seeds will have absorbed the liquid and the mixture will have thickened into a pudding. Either serve cold as it is or warm by heating on the stove in a small saucepan.
- Simply add any additional toppings and enjoy!
- This serving has 5g net carbs (including strawberries and almonds as pictured).
- Calories: 189kcal, Net carbs: 5g, Carbs: 14g, Fibre: 9g, Fat: 15g, Protein: 5g, Sugar: 2g