After buying every kind of fungi available to write my guide to Japanese mushrooms, my first creation was this easy keto mushroom pasta with shirataki noodles. It doesn’t get much better than cream, butter, garlic and parsley, along with a pretty array of fungi. This version is rather elaborate, with eight varieties of mushrooms included – but it still tastes just as delicious when made with only one!
ALL THE MUSHROOMS
With so many mushrooms in the fridge, I wanted to try a dish that included them all! Not only did the variety look beautiful with all their different shapes and sizes, but they also gave a nice range of flavor and texture. This version includes long thin enoki, dancing maitake, chewy eringi, woody shiitake, nutty shimeji and sticky nameko. It even includes varieties from a number of different farms around Japan.
KETO MUSHROOM PASTA
To keep this dish low carb and keto friendly, it uses my favorite Japanese shirataki noodles from Kibun foods. I’m still in love these noodles, they don’t require any special preparation nor have a strong odor, so are perfect for quick meals like this. The butter, cream and oil provide plenty of fat, while the mushrooms are relatively low in net carbs.
CARBS IN KETO MUSHROOM PASTA
This bowl of mushroom pasta has 4g of net carbs in total (as pictured). Portions can be kept on the smaller side as the shirataki noodles are rather filling!
- 2 packs shirataki noodles
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 cups assorted mushrooms
- 1 tsp almond flour
- pinch of dried parsley
- 3/4 tub thick cream
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- olive oil
- fresh parsley (finely chopped, to garnish)
- First, prepare the shirataki by dry frying them in a frying pan on medium heat. Keep on the heat until they start making a whistling sound, this indicates the excess moisture leaving the noodles. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add your butter to the frying pan and add the garlic. Cook for a minute until fragrant.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan and coat in the oil and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms have become a beautiful golden color.
- Remove the mushrooms from the pan, leaving the oil behind.
- Add the almond flour, dried parsley and cream to the oil in the pan and stir to combine.
- Add the salt and pepper to taste and keep on the heat for a few minutes.
- Finally, add the mushrooms and shirataki back into the pan and combine.
- Serve piping hot with fresh parsley and enjoy!
- This recipe makes two servings.
- Each serving has 4g net carbs (as pictured).
- Calories: 237kcal, Net carbs: 4g, Carbs: 14g, Fibre: 10g, Fat: 20g, Protein: 6g, Sugar: 3g